Whitby Castle is a wonderful venue that has always been a proud staple of Rye. The fabulous restaurant is open to the public as well as the members of the Rye Golf Club. The Castle was designed by architect Alexander Jackson Davis in 1852. Built for Mr. William Chapman as a private residence, the construction of the original home contains stones from the original Whitby Castle in England and thus chose “Whitby" as the title of the estate. In 1886, the Chapman's sold the house to the Park family of Rye who lived there for 25 years. In 1921, the 40 acres of the original property were combined with the 110 acres of the adjoining Allen estate to become Rye Country Club, later sold and renamed Rye Wood Country Club. In 1965, the City of Rye purchased the property to be renamed Rye Golf Club as it is known today.